More and more retailers are adopting Electronic Point-of-Sale, or EPOS systems. There are many benefits to having a good retail EPOS system. For example, business owners now have automated processes, faster checkout, and better insights.
However, there are many retail EPOS system providers out there, and picking the right one for your business can be hard. This is why Magestore have compiled a list of top ten retail EPOS systems for UK merchants.
These systems are excellent solutions for different business industries and sizes. For each provider, we’ll provide you with an overview, key features, and price. Let’s dive in and see what they are!
1. EPOS Now
1. EPOS NOW
With over £2 billion processed annually, Epos Now is one of the most popular EPOS systems for retail in the UK.
The award-winning EPOS software and hardware provider offers a system that’s responsive, fast, and easy to learn. The system works both online and offline and integrates with many payment methods. In addition, Epos Now features its own AppStore, connecting with all types of services from Mailchimp to Magento.
Epos Now is an excellent retail EPOS system for busy environments and scaling businesses.
- Simple to use: A staff member can be fully trained in 15 minutes.
- Integrated payments: Customers can pay with credit card, phone, smartwatch, and 100+ more methods.
- Customisable Receipts: Business owners can create, customise, and print invoices.
- Flexible promotions: Setup custom promotions and apply them across the system.
- Powerful customer loyalty: Loyalty cards to encourage repeat business and drive brand loyalty.
- Inventory control: Keep track of inventory and shrinkage. Automate purchase order and inter-location stock transfer.
- Access rights and permissions: Give access to different business functions such as discount. Track employees performance.
- Web and online integration: Connect Epos Now with e-commerce website.
- Other web service integrations: The AppStore offers integration with Quickbooks Online, Zapier, Caterbook, Appointedd, Mailchimp, WordPress, and many more.
Epos Now offers three different packages:
- Software only solution: £499 upfront or £25 a month.
- Full tablet solution: £549.
- Complete solution: £1199.
Additional hardware are also available for purchase. Before buying, you can sign up for a 30-day free trial. No credit card is required.
2. LIGHTSPEED RETAIL EPOS
Lightspeed Retail EPOS is the go-to solution of over 50,000 independent businesses worldwide.
They focus on omnichannel retail, combining brick-and-mortar and online stores in one system. Lightspeed’s EPOS system for retail also features in-depth inventory management tools, making sure the right items are always on the shelves. In addition, advanced reporting and analytics tools offer true insights into the business.
Lightspeed Retail EPOS system can assist retailers grow their business by 20% in just one year.
- Inventory: Create custom attribute, category, and discounts for product. Restock quickly with purchase order right from the retail EPOS system.
- Omnichannel: Sell on different channels with consistent branding, centralised customer data, and inventory reporting.
- Reporting and Analytics: Track retail and staff performance anywhere. Integrate with accounting software and export data.
- Loyalty: Manage gift cards, customer accounts, types, history, and lifetime value. Integrate with CRM.
- Cloud-based mobility: Quick training time. Access to business on the go with easy transaction.
- Multi-store: Manage multiple locations with centralised inventory, purchase, customer, and reporting. Transfer items between location for more sales.
- Integrated payments: Accept different payment methods. EMV compatible and PCI compliant. Easy refunds.
Customers can contact Lightspeed to request an individual quote for their business. The most popular plan starts at £69/month. You can also purchase desktop or iPad hardware kit and individual hardware.
Lightspeed offers 14-day free trial. No credit card is required.
3. VEND POINT OF SALE
One of the most well-known retail EPOS systems, Vend is used by more than 20,000 retailers around the world.
It is a cloud-based EPOS software so business owners can work on them anywhere. They offer advanced tools that are fast, intuitive, and simple to use. It is also an excellent system that grows with the business and connects with other ecommerce or payment solutions.
Vend boasts to offer excellent customer service and support all around the world.
- Customer facing display: Customers can see what is being processed and staff can capture customer details while they are being served.
- Fast checkout: Custom buttons for popular items, product & customer search, line items and sale notes, discounts, and customise receipts.
- Better shopping experience: layaways, parked sales, gift cards and store credit, split payments, refunds, and returns.
- Control over every transaction: Manage user accounts and permissions, switch between users, and manage cash drawers.
- Powerful add-ons: Xero, Quickbooks Online, Deputy, Timely, and so on.
Vend offers three different plans:
- Lite: £69/month. For retailers with one outlet.
- Pro: £99/month. For retailers with more than one outlets and registers.
- Enterprise: Contact sales for a quote. Recommended for businesses with 6+ outlets and multiple registers.
30-day free trial is also available. No credit card required.
4. QUICKBOOKS POS
One of most popular names when it comes to accounting, Quickbooks also provides a EPOS system for retail. QuickBooks POS is another powerful platform to keep track of sales, customers, and inventory. It is a reliable and robust retail EPOS solution from a trustworthy brand.
- Checkout: Scan barcode or enter items manually to ring sales. Add customer info and discount right on the POS. Layaways and gift cards are also included.
- Track inventory: Inventory is automatically updated for every sales, enabling quick reorder and preventing stock outs. Check product performance to adjust catalogue mix accordingly.
- Track and reward customers: Insightful data of customers, including balance, history, credit available, and loyalty program status. Offer special discount during a purchase.
- Payment: Accept all debit and credit cards with secured transaction. EMV ready.
- Sync with QuickBooks for effortless accounting: transaction and inventory transfer are automatically updated, saving money and efforts. Fewer errors also means easier tax time.
- Compatible with hardware: QuickBooks POS now works with Microsoft Surface Pro, increasing mobility and modernizing the look of the store. QuickBooks also offers hardware such as receipt printer, card reader, barcode scanner and more.
There are three plans for QuickBooks’ retail EPOS system, with more features for the more expensive plans.
- Basic: starts from $1,200.
- Pro: from $1,700.
- Multi-Store: from $1,900.
All plans are one-time payment purchase. A 30-day free trial is available.
5. ERPLY POS
ERPLY is a retail EPOS system with a focus on small and medium-sized businesses. The POS is cloud-based, quick-to-install, and easy-to-use. It is available as a Windows software and a mobile app. The system can run online and offline, and connects with the customer’s ERPLY account to make sure data is updated to all parts of their system.
ERPLY has over 100,000 customers from more than 15 countries around the world.
- Fast and responsive: increases touch-screen responsiveness and helps maintain working speed.
- Cloud Hybrid system: The system can run offline when the internet is down and auto-sync when there’s connection.
- Suspend sale: Reserve a sale so customers can come back and complete it later.
- Void/Return: Support returns.
- Speedy product lookup: Search by name, scan barcode, or add from list to the order.
- X report and Z report with real-time data.
- Integrated payments: secure payment with electronic signature, PIN debit, and more.
- Compatible hardware: Tablets, POS registers, laptops.
- Shipping integration: Ship products to customers via UPS and FedEx.
ERPLY’s retail EPOS system starts from $99/month. You can also request a free demo.
6. IZETTLE GO
iZettle offers a mobile EPOS system for retail. This system includes POS app, card reader, analytics dashboard, and hardware accessories. Business owners can easily take payments and record sales, create and track inventory, and check sales reports and analytics.
- Product library: Create and organise products with images and other variants, by categories or folders. Custom price and discount by product, quantity, or order.
- Inventory management: View, adjust, and track products in one place.
- Transaction history: View or export transaction history. Support full and partial refunds.
- Payments (when used with iZettle Reader): Cash, Card, Chip & PIN, and contactless.
- Customisation: customise reports, deposit amount, or payment settings.
- Customers: Collect and export customer information.
- Receipts: Print receipts or send them via SMS or email.
- Sales data: Track products and staff performance. Export data to PDF/Excel.
- Staff: Set up separate accounts with limited access.
iZettle provides the Go app for all sellers and the Pro app for restaurant business owners. There are two plans for iZettle Go retail EPOS system:
- iZettle Go: free on iOS and Android.
- iZettle Go Plus: include an e-commerce site for business to sell online and offline. Costs £29/month.
Clover is one of the most popular cloud-based EPOS systems with custom hardware for retailers. It offers reliable and secure payment, inventory and sales tracking, and marketing and accounting tools. In addition to the retail EPOS software, Clover also offers stylish hardware to create a great look for retail stores.
- Checkout & Payment: Checkout with item categories or scanning barcodes. Clover accepts cash, swipe, EMV, NFC, Apple Pay and Google Pay. Offer email, text, or printed receipts.
- Customers: Set up loyalty programs and special discounts for regular customers. Utilise built-in marketing tools such as feedback and promotions.
- Security: Protect business with end-to-end encryption, data tokenisation, and locked-down operating system.
- Inventory: Manage inventory categories, update quantity from any device, and track best selling products.
- Manage employee: Track employee shifts and set permissions.
- Detailed reports and sales data: Clover Dashboard lets you monitor sales, refunds, and customer spending habits in real time from any device. Export reports for payroll, taxes, and accounting.
- App market: Clover App Market offers specialized apps from approved partners. These apps work to help business with tasks such as connecting their ecommerce site, managing payroll, or monitoring analytics.
- Hardware options include Clover Station, Clover Mini, and Clover Go.
There are two plans for the Clover retail EPOS system:
- Register Lite: $14/month, for businesses with credit card sales of less than $50,000/year.
- Register: $29/month, for businesses with credit card sales of more than $50,000/year.
Clover hardware: range from $49 for Glover Go to $1499 for Clover Station and Customer Mini.
8. SHOPIFY POINT OF SALE
One of the biggest e-commerce platforms, Shopify also offers an EPOS system for retail. For Shopify customers, it is the perfect tool to keep their business synced across online and in-store channels. The system supports all business sizes and different ways business owners sell products.
- Payment: Accept credit card, store credit, gift cards, partial payment, different gateways and methods.
- Checkout: Checkout on mobile devices, create custom sales, create notes and shipping address, and customise receipts.
- Discounts: Setup, use, and track custom discounts for all sales channels.
- Store management: Check order history, manage refunds, and monitor cash drawer activities.
- Customer management: Create customers for all channels and integrate with Mailchimp for further email marketing.
- Products: Create, edit, and organise your catalogue.
- Hardware: Supports card reader, cash drawer, receipt printer, barcode scanner, and more.
- Analytics: Dashboard available right on your POS with many product and retail reports.
Shopify POS is a free app on iOS and Android that works in sync with the customer’s Shopify store.
Shopify offers the following plans:
- Basic Shopify: $29/month. Best for new businesses.
- Shopify: $79/month. Recommended for businesses with one retail store.
- Advanced Shopify: $299/month. Best for growing businesses with 2+ retail stores.
In addition, there are Shopify Lite to sell on Facebook, and Shopify Plus for large businesses. A 14-day free trial is also available and doesn’t require credit card.
9. SQUARE POINT OF SALE
Square offers simple but powerful retail solutions, and a retail EPOS system is one of them. All the tools needed for a retail business is packed into a free and easy-to-use mobile app. Payments, digital receipts, open tickets, inventory, and reports are available to every kind of business. Working with other Square software and hardware, this retail EPOS system helps business run smoothly.
- Payments: accept and record all cash, gift cards, cheques, and any other transactions.
- Receipts: Print or send receipt so customer can give more feedback.
- Open tickets and split tender: Keep multiple orders open and take different payment methods.
- Manage inventory: Track and update items in real-time. Receive low stock notification.
- Employee Management: Keep track of clock-in and out time and all activities during a shift. Control what data staff can access with passcodes.
- Location Management: Edit staff and prices for different locations. Open a new location and assign catalogue in a few clicks.
- Analytics: Square gives business real time sales data on web browser or iOS devices for free. Available reports include: Sales trends, item sales, category sales, labour vs sales, and more. Business can create their custom report as well.
- Hardware: Integrate with Square Reader, Stand, Dock, cash drawer, and receipt printer.
The Square POS app is free on Android and iOS devices. For hardware, Square Reader starts from £39 while Square Stand costs £129.
10. MAGESTORE WEBPOS
The leading web-based EPOS system for Magento retailers, Magestore has over 10,000 users around the world. They offer a complete retail EPOS system with stock control to connect both online site and physical store. With Magestore’s Omnichannel Solution, business owners can track business performance anytime and at any EPOS locations.
- Intuitive user interface: Beautiful, responsive, and easy-to-use interface.
- Fast and accurate checkout: Add item manually or by scanning barcode. Create multiple orders and put order on hold with a tap.
- Easy customer management: Look up customer info in under one second. Add new customer right on POS screen and the info will sync into your backend site. Default guest checkout.
- Dynamic discount: Discount by item, cart, or customer. Use gift code for checkout.
- Multiple payment: Accept cash, COD, card, and online payment methods. Multiple and partial payment available.
- Convenient shipment and delivery: Support partial shipment. Set shipping fee for shipments made by POS.
- Efficient staff management: Create and manage access of users. Monitor staff roster and check staff performance.
- Complete inventory monitoring: Create and edit new item. Check stock availability and adjust quantity. Low stock notification.
- Insightful reports: Ten different reports by staff, location, and payment methods.
- Offline mode: Work without the internet and information will be auto-synced when online.
- Great hardware compatibility: Easy to install barcode scanner, receipt printer, payment terminals and more.
Magestore’s WebPOS is part of Omnichannel Solution Package. There are three available packages:
- Starter: For businesses with one store and one warehouse.
- Growth: For businesses with multiple stores and warehouses.
- Growth Plus: For fast-growing businesses who need diverse order fulfillment methods.
All packages are one-time payment purchase with no hidden costs.
Retailers can book a demo for free.
SUMMARY AND NEXT STEPS
There are many options for UK business owners who are looking for a retail EPOS system. We have listed our ten of them in this blog post: Epos Now, Lightspeed, Vend, Quickbooks, ERPLY, iZettle, Clover, Shopify, Square, and Magestore. These providers offer excellent retail EPOS systems for business from all verticals and sizes.
Don’t know which one to purchase from? We’re also got an eBook with everything you need to know about EPOS systems: Expert Tips for Choosing Right Magento EPOS System. It answers the following questions:
- What EPOS system is;
- Why you should choose an EPOS system that’s integrated with Magento; and
- How to choose the right Magento system.
This eBook covers the basics of Magento EPOS system, all for FREE. Let us help grow your business.