Running a small to mid-sized business can be quite a headache. With only limited personnel and resources to spare, business owners often struggle to fulfill all necessary tasks in a timely and efficient fashion.
But that’s where software can help. We’ve taken the time to sort through dozens of software options on the market and found the best ones, so you don’t have to. Oh, and did we mention most of them offer free plans, so you don’t spend any extra money to get started?
Well, without further ado, here are the 18 best software tools for small to mid-sized businesses in 2022!
Best for day-to-day operations software
- Accounting: Zoho
- Billing and invoicing: Billdu
- Retail management software: Magestore
- Employee payroll: Gusto
- Helpdesk and customer support: LiveAgent
- Call center management: CloudTalk
Best collaboration apps for small to mid-sized teams
- Communication: Slack
- Online meetings: Zoom
- Document management and email: Google Workspace
Productivity software for SMBs
- Work management and planning: Monday
- Employee time tracking: Toggl
- Scheduling online meetings with clients: Calendly
Best marketing tools for small to mid-sized businesses
- Graphic editor: Canva
- Social media management and marketing: Kontentino
- Email marketing: Mailchimp
- Website builder: Wix
- Website analytics and optimization: UXtweak
- Customer satisfaction: NiceReply
Zoho Books is a complete accounting tool for managing your accounting tasks and organizing your business transactions. It can take care of most mundane accounting tasks so you can focus on other activities. It will help you keep up with your company’s bills and invoices, reconcile your bank statements, control your spending, oversee projects, and eliminate GST compliance worries.
It comes with an intuitive dashboard and easy-to-comprehend reports. The biggest strength of Zoho is its innovative feature that analyses numbers in over 40 ways so you can have a detailed report on your profit and loss, cash flow, and more.
Zoho’s main features
- Client portal,
Zoho Books pricing
Zoho offers a free plan for small businesses with revenue up to 50K per annum. If you go over the revenue limit or need additional features, you will need to purchase one of their paid plans. However, smaller companies should do just fine with Standard or Professional.
Zoho plan costs
- Standard: $15 per month,
- Professional: $40 per month,
- Premium: $60 per month,
- Elite: $120 per month,
- Ultimate: $240 per month.
Billdu – The best invoicing software for small and mid-sized companies
Billdu is an easy-to-use but feature-packed invoicing app for businesses. It allows you to create professional-looking invoices, estimates, purchase orders, delivery notes, and other documents your business needs in a few seconds.
With features like automatic payment reminders, recurring invoices, online payments, expense management, and invoice status tracking, Billdu has everything you need to run and scale your business smoothly.
Furthermore, Billdu’s affordable subscriptions and great reviews (4.8 out of 5 on the App Store, 4.7 out of 5 on Trustpilot) secure its place as one of the best options on the market.
Billdu key features
- Generate invoices and create and edit professional-looking documents whenever and wherever;
- Template customization, including logos, brand colors, and signatures;
- Accept card payments and get paid faster;
- Send Automatic Payment Reminders when invoices are overdue;
- Track invoices so you know which invoices are paid or overdue;
- Track and manage expenses with an included receipt scanner;
- Send documents by email and get notified when documents are opened.
Try Billdu for 30 days free (no credit card required), and then get it for as little as $3.99 on the Lite plan. Or, go one step further and enjoy the extensive possibilities you get with the Standard plan for $8.99 or Premium for $16.99.
Magestore – The World’s #1 POS for Magento
Magestore is a leading eCommerce solution provider and is trusted by 10,000+ merchants worldwide. Their core product – Magestore Omnichannel POS is native to Magento, inherits all features, and works smoothly with other Magento extensions. The POS system is easy to scale up and customize to unique business needs and requirements, making it one of the top choices for Magento retailers.
Magestore POS highlight features
- Centralize all data in a single platform;
- Sync all data including inventory, sales, orders, and customers across all sales channels in real time;
- Control inventory smartly and efficiently: manage thousands of SKUs, stock flow, and ingredients;
- Automate and streamline purchasing processes: the system will notify you when and which items to replenish to prevent stockout or overstock;
- Offer various order fulfillment methods: buy online ship to home, click and collect, drop shipping;
- Support multiple payment options: cash, cards, store credits, etc.;
- Create and manage loyalty programs: reward points, store credits, gift cards, and promotions;
- Provide live and granular reports for stores, inventory, and employees;
- Can integrate with other business management systems like accounting, payroll, ERP, and delivery service via API connection;
- Can be customized and scalable to your changing needs;
- Can work in offline mode to avoid disruption when the Internet is poor.
Magestore POS’s price is flexible for each business based on your business scale, unique needs, and goals. Let’s learn how to calculate your tailored point of sale solution.
Gusto is an HR tool that helps you onboard new employees, pay salaries and insurance, and much more. It’s the perfect payroll solution for smaller companies that simultaneously retain seasonal, contract, and full-time employees, as it can also handle payroll tax and processing responsibilities.
- Running payroll,
- Employee benefits,
- Business finances,
- People management.
- Simple: $40 monthly base price + 6$ per person,
- Plus: $80 monthly base price + 12$ per person,
- Premium: per request.
LiveAgent is an award-winning omnichannel help desk software that helps businesses of any size attract more customers by helping create an awesome customer journey. Companies can increase sales, productivity, communication skills, and customer relationships through phone support, email, web chat, and self-service options. Agents can access a rich user interface, unlimited data storage, and integration with popular CRMs, CMS, eCommerce solutions, and more.
The platform helps boost agent efficiency by providing easy access to multiple ways to interact with customers and prospects. Its omnichannel interface allows agents to share tickets easily, saving time and money while reducing hold times. Agents can now focus on what they do best – providing exceptional service to customers utilizing these features:
- Universal inbox,
- Hybrid ticketing system,
- Real-time chat,
- IVR (Interactive voice response),
- Automatic callback,
- Language adaptable widgets,
- Social media customer service monitoring,
- Knowledge base,
- Advanced reporting,
- Customer service gamification,
- Mobile-optimized, responsive UI,
- Wide range of integrations, plugins, and apps,
- 24/7/365 customer support.
LiveAgent offers a lifetime free plan. However, their paid plans offer even more helpful features.
The paid plans include:
- Ticket: $15/agent/month,
- Ticket+Chat: $29/agent/month,
- All-inclusive: $49/agent/month.
CloudTalk is a cloud-based VoIP call center solution designed to meet your team’s every need. Whether you want to cut down on call costs, improve employee efficiency, raise customer satisfaction, or expand to new locations – CloudTalk’s got it all.
The software works across desktop and mobile devices and is fully remote-friendly, allowing easy onboarding and natural call center growth. It offers 70+ features and can be integrated with 37 of the most popular work tools, including CRMs like HubSpot, Salesforce, MS Dynamics 365, and Zendesk, to make the lives of your managers and employees easier.
- Call tagging,
- Call recording,
- Advanced analytics,
- Smart and power dialers,
- Call queue and call flow designer,
- Automatic call distribution (ACD),
- Interactive voice response (IVR).
- Starter: $25 per user/month,
- Essential: $30 per user/month,
- Expert: $50 per user/month.
Slack – The best communication tool for small to mid-sized teams
Slack is the tool that will help you manage and improve your internal communication. Slack is also one of the fastest-growing business applications in previous years. Slack lets you easily create multiple channels to discuss different projects, tasks, and topics or just catch up with your colleagues. One of the best features of Slack is the possibility of connecting other tools your business uses, like Google Drive, Gmail, and many more.
- Organized conversations with your employees,
- Possibility to invite external collaborators (freelancers you are working with, accountants, advisors, etc.),
- Voice and video calls,
- File sharing,
- Integrations with other software.
A free plan is limited to 10,000 messages.
Paid plans include:
- Pro: $7.25 per person/month, $6.25 per person/per month annually
- Business: $12.50 per person/month, $11.75 per person/per month annually
Zoom is ideal for anyone who works remotely or has remote team members. It’s the leading video conferencing app, supporting both quick and scheduled meetings. Create and share private meeting links quickly with an individual or team and connect remote team members through video.
- Host meetings with your employees or clients, webinars, and even conferences;
- 1-1 and group meetings;
- an unlimited number of meetings;
- HD video and audio;
- Screen sharing and built-in recording of the meetings;
- Scheduled meetings;
- Private and group chat;
- Host controls.
Zoom offers a free plan which supports meeting up to 100 attendees for up to 40 minutes. So if you keep your meeting short and to the point (which you definitely should), you will do just fine.
Paid plans include:
- Pro: $14.99 user/month,
- Business: $19.99 user/month.
Google workspace offers a free solution for businesses to collaborate and be productive. It’s great for small businesses because it provides everything you need to manage your documents in a single platform. A suite of individual apps allows you to share and create spreadsheets using Google Sheets, documents using Google Docs, presentations using Google Slides, and a lot more.
- Google Drive has all your documents in one palace, available to everyone at any time.
- Access to the full stack of useful apps – Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms – everything and even more your business needs;
- Domain-branded email using gmail client;
- Store and share files using Google Drive.
Google workspace pricing
- Business Starter: $6 user/month,
- Business Standard: $12 user/month,
- Business Plus: $18 user/month.
Monday is a project management software that helps with everything from precise project and product planning to simple task management. The platform organically changes to let you get work done painlessly and efficiently. With over 120,000 organizations using monday.com, the proof is in the numbers.
- Ready-made templates to get started instantly;
- Different views for your work, including Kanban, Gantt, and timeline;
- 40+ integrations so you can bring data from the tools you already use;
- The ability to create and share forms with your team and clients;
- Automations to prevent repetitive tasks.
The “Individual” plan for up to 2 people is completely free.
Other paid plans include:
- Basic: $24 per month, billed annually,
- Standard: $30 per month, billed annually,
- Pro: $48 per month, billed annually,
- Enterprise: price per request.
Toggl is a small business software solution that is a great choice if you want to focus on tracking time. The software is all about ease of use, allowing employees to track time across hundreds of devices, third-party apps, and computers. All you have to do is click “Start”.
- Time tracking (duh),
- Time entries,
- Time audits,
Toggl app offers three plans, a free 30-day trial and a free version with limited features.
Other pricing options include:
- Starter: $9 per user/month, billed annually;
- Premium: $18 per user/month, billed annually;
- Enterprise: price per request.
Calendly is an online scheduling service that takes time management to the next level. Using this cloud-based app, you can make scheduling time with your clients super easy.
You can create events and let those interested in meeting with you book an appointment in a few clicks. By defining your open hours and linking your calendar app, you’ll never have to worry about conflicting appointments. Smart calendar integration will keep your schedule updated at all times and consistent across applications.
- Scheduling notice,
- Recurring meetings,
- Payment integration.
- Calendly offers a free “Basic” plan.
- Other paid plans include:
- Essentials: $8 per user/month,
- Professional: $12 per user/month,
- Teams: $16 per user/month,
- Enteprise: price per request.
Canva is a popular graphic design platform. Thanks to Canva, you will be able to create designs for your social media, blogs, products, advertisements, website, and more. You do not have to worry if you are not a graphic designer. Canva has a library with numerous templates, fonts, images, and videos and is super easy to work with.
- Photo editing,
- Content library,
- Graphs and charts,
You can use Canva for free. However, the premium version enables you to create a brand kit and use premium content such as images, videos, and icons. The Premium plan is also available as a 30-day free trial.
Other paid pricing plans include:
- Pro: $12.99 per user/month, or $199.99 per user/year;
- Teams: $14.99 for the first 5 people per month, or $149.90 per year.
Kontentino – The best social management tool
Kontentino is a social media management tool that enables marketing teams to collaborate seamlessly on social media content creation. With Kontentino, you get a powerful tool combining content approval and scheduling features.
All your communication and assets are in one place, so it’s easy to chat with your team, give feedback, analyze your performance and stay on top of your social media marketing strategy. Kontentino saves marketers 41% of the time that would usually be wasted on back-and-forth emails and unproductive Zoom meetings. Manage your brand’s online presence with a reliable social media tool.
- Planning and collaboration,
- Content approval,
- Post scheduling,
- Task assignment,
- Drag-and-drop social media calendar,
- Live post previews,
- UTM tag builder and link shortener,
- Hashtag presets,
- Insights and reporting.
You can try Kontentino for free for the first 14 days.
Other paid pricing plans include:
- Starter: $59 (for 3 users) per month, or $53 per month billed annually;
- Standard: $130 (for 10 users) per month, or $117 per month billed annually;
- Pro: $240 (for 10 users) per month, or $216 per month billed annually;
- Enterprise: price per request.
Mailchimp is email marketing software where you can manage your mailing lists, create custom email templates, and nurture and automate your marketing campaigns. It’s hard for a business to go wrong with this small business software because it’s affordable and flexible. If you have fewer than 2,000 email subscribers, you can use Mailchimp for free to grow your business.
- A/B testing,
- Behavioral targeting,
- Advanced segmentation,
- Custom templates.
You can enjoy Mailchimp for free for up to 1 user, 500 contacts, and 2,500 monthly emails.
Other paid plans include:
- Essentials: $11/month, includes 3 users, 50,000 contacts, and 5,000 monthly emails;
- Standard: $17/month, includes 5 users, 100,000 contacts, and 6,000 monthly emails;
- Premium: $299/ month, includes unlimited users and contacts and 150,000 monthly emails.
Wix allows you to grow your business by designing and launching a high-quality website in hours. Whether you’re trying to promote your business, start a blog, open a store, or showcase your products and services, this is the small to mid-sized business software you should look at.
Wix lets you create websites with the drag-and-drop site builder, and you can easily choose from hundreds of free templates as your background. As a bonus, your website is mobile-ready once you launch it, and the editor is very intuitive and user-friendly.
In case you’re looking for a web hosting provider or domain extensions for your website, Hostinger is a great to-go provider.
- Library of templates and designs to choose from,
- Drag-and-drop interface for easy website creation,
- Online editor to customize your website’s design and content,
- Integrated SEO tools to help you get more traffic to your site,
- Built-in store to sell products and services online,
- Blog to share news and updates with your customers and followers.
You can try Wix’s Premium plans for free for 14 days.
Other pricing plans include:
- Combo: $16/month,
- Unlimited: $22/month,
- Pro: $27/month,
- VIP: $45/month.
UXtweak has all the features you need to build the perfect website. It perfectly visualizes customer frustration to help you better understand their issues in the form of pixel-perfect session replays, website heatmaps, and many other powerful analytics tools. Track users’ clicks, scrolls, and mouse moves and discover new ways to improve your website to help your business.
It is equipped with tools, like surveys, to research your user base and gather feedback. In addition, the session recording allows you to record and replay the visitor’s journey on your website, and a five-second test allows you to determine what your users immediately notice on your website.
- Session Recording and Replay to see a replay of what users are doing on your site;
- All types of heatmaps to visualize where users click, scroll and move;
- SmartSearch filters to filter out exact users using their behavior on your website;
- Website Testing to test the usability of your website or e-shop with users;
- Surveys to gather feedback from your customers.
UXtweak’s starter plan is free forever and will give you plenty of value.
Other paid pricing plans include:
- Plus: $80/month,
- Business: $144/month.
Nicereply offers a handy, non-intrusive way to collect relevant feedback from the recipients of your emails. The tool is typically used to gauge the customers’ satisfaction after interacting with your staff, get product feedback, assess how recipients feel about the latest newsletter, and many more.
Unlike some competitors, the tool doesn’t force you to use one specific scoring method in your forms. Quite the opposite – whenever you set up a form, you can choose from one of the three industry standards: CSAT, CES, or NPS. You can even run an A/B test to see which method works best for your audience and business goals.
The app integrates with plenty of support tools and the likes of Zendesk and Front, making it easy to plug their surveys into your existing communication.
- Multiple surveying methods: CSAT, CES, and NPS are available out of the box;
- Instant ratings: The app saves the survey response the moment a vote is cast. If a user quits the form before completing it, their rating is saved either way;
- Customization: Customize survey design, language, and copy;
- 15 +Integrations: Includes Zendesk, Front, LiveAgent, HelpScout, Mailchimp, Gmail, and Outlook;
- API: Nicereply offers a REST API that allows you to build custom apps or widgets and automatically retrieve survey responses for analysis.
Nicereply offers a free 14-day trial; no credit card is required. After that, you’ll need to upgrade to one of the paid plans. When paying annually, two months are free.
- Mini: $39/month,
- Start: $79/month,
- Grow: $159/month,
- Business: $239/month.