At some businesses, it’s not always one person handling the POS. Therefore, most store owners would like to see which staff members perform the best. However, it’s a bit inconvenient and takes time for cashiers or salesmen to sign in and out every time. Introducing quick user switching would solve this problem and let business owners track performance at the same time.
The concept of Quick User Switching on POS
According to 2018 Magestore’s Customer Success Survey on which features are considered to be essential on a POS system, the majority of 63% Merchants, Store Owners, and Technical Project Managers response that they would love to have Quick User Switching on their daily operating POS.
(*) Noted that these customers have tried other POS systems before (even in Magento, Odoo or Shopify platforms), but none could meet their unique requirements.
I’d like to request an option on the sales screen to quickly switch between different users. Any staff can quickly switch by authenticating their password and manage their individual sales. Currently, you must log out of the application to switch user.Customer’s Survey Response – Role: Store Owner
I am designing a Point of Sale system for a small shop. The shop just has one POS but often there are 1 to 3 users (sellers) in the shop. Each user has their own user account in the system so they login and logout very often. For the moment the users don’t use passwords, because it takes quite the time to type the password each time they login. I’m thinking about a SmartCard solution, but I don’t know if that fits my situation. It‘d be more secure (which I like) but I don’t know if it’ll be easy to implement and smooth to use.
What other solutions do I have other than passwords/no passwords/smartcards?
How can I design the login/logout system in a good way?
Is there any good solution using SmartCards for this purpose?Customer’s Survey Response – Role: In-house Developer
How do you handle multiple sessions from one POS for a restaurant? Each user are on different devices, we have a waiter at the bar, we have some waiters on iPad going around the restaurant to check and take orders from the customers.
The problem is that we can’t have, or hasn’t found out how yet…Customer’s Survey Response – Role: General Managers
If you’re nodding along to one of those situations, you’re at the right place. We’ll share with you the concept of Quick User Switching on POS and how to design this feature on your POS.
Before going to the details, let’s look at…
The reasons why so many businesses require Quick User Switching on POS
1. As Cashiers and Salesmen, it saves a lot of time to have multiple users logged into one register/one session and quickly switching between users during a transaction. This leads to faster processing of sales (especially when there’s a queue or it’s peak sales time).
2. Store owners can have a quick review of who made each sale. When a logged in staff finalizes the transaction, the system will record their name. The name will be visible in the POS Session Management and also on any receipts that are printed from your register.
Different methods to switch between user accounts on POS
1. Switch users without any security
- Step 1: Any staff with a POS user account can start a POS session
- Step 2: Click on the user name, a new window will be opened which will show the list of cashiers
- Step 3: Select a cashier/salesman’s name from the popup list and the POS will change user. At the ‘username’ section, we can see the new user’s name.
This method is the simplest and quickest way but poses high error and security risks.
2. Switch users with pin code
PIN is a quick way to log in the POS system. By assigning a PIN to each User, they will not need to type in their Username or Password.
- Step 1: From any screen, click on the name icon in the top right of the screen
- Step 2: Select SWITCH USER button
- Step 3: Choose your name as the person being switched to
- Step 4: Enter your digit PIN. PINs need to be at least 4-6 characters in length
In this method, the Cashiers/Salesman can set the security pin/password for particular cashiers from the back end and swap users in the running POS Session. This method is widely recommended as it requires some authentication from the Users, so no unauthorized person can access the POS session.
3. Switch users with cashier barcode badge
PINs can also be assigned to a barcode, making the login process as easy as scanning a card.
- Step 1: Click on the username section. It will open the window to select the cashier.
- Step 2: Scan the badge of the cashier/salesman.
- Step 3: Once we have scanned the badge, the cashier will be automatically changed.
Tips and Practices when using Quick User Switching on POS in real business
Practice 1: The manager opens a session at the beginning of the day. The next staff doesn’t need to open any session but follow the same session that the sales manager has opened. Again, the manager will be the one who closes the session at the end of the day.
Practice 2: When switching to a lower permission account, you will not need to enter a password. On the contrary, when switching between accounts with higher permission levels, you will need to enter their password. The below table outlines when you will be asked for a password.
In a nutshell, some people say running a successful business requires great staff and the best staff shouldn’t be bogged down by an inefficient system. Quick switching between users on the POS is just one of the uncountable concepts to help staffs work smarter, not harder. That’s why Magestore POS always adapt the best-advanced technology to make our POS solution better day by day. You can share with us more of your innovative ideas and we can implement a customized solution for you.
May the force be with you.